If the police have not secured an active warrant in Haywood County, TN from the local court with criminal jurisdiction, they can only detain a person legally in a limited number of circumstances. Situations in which an individual can be apprehended without an outstanding warrant include:
- The accused is arrested when actually involved in the illicit act
- If the person in question is picked up from the crime scene
- If the police have reason to believe that the offender has already committed a criminal act or will do so and this assumption is backed by hard facts.
- When an individual is found to have illegal arms or substances' on his person during a routine "stop and check"
Unless these arrest criteria are met, the police cannot detain a person without a judicial order. To get arrest warrants in Haywood County, the office of the sheriff has to file a petition in court. As soon as this is done, the magistrate's office and the department of the county clerk also get access to the evidence available in the matter and specifics about the offender.
These are offered to the public when a Haywood warrant search is sought through any one of the agencies listed below.
- Police: 1 N Washington Ave, Brownsville, Tennessee 38012
- Clerk of court: 1 North Washington Street, Brownsville, Tennessee 38012-2561
- Judiciary: 11 S Lafayette Ave, Brownsville, TN 38012
Haywood County, TN lies at the upper end of the crime spectrum of the state with an annual crime average of almost 900 occurrences.Also, in terms of violent crime the area ranks fairly high with an incident rate of 16% of the total crime figure. Despite a reduction of over 300% in the rates of violent crime and an over 100% decrease in the number of overall crimes, the high annual crime rate remains a concern.