The burgeoning increase in the crime rates of Shelby County means that you have to be particularly mindful of arrest records and criminal background checks when forging new business and even personal alliances. Fortunately, the state agencies of Shelby County, TN, make it easy to find all information about active arrest warrants issued by local criminal courts.
First, start your hunt for outstanding warrant information at the local sheriff’s office, located at 201 Poplar Ave, Memphis, Tennessee 38103. Call the admin or the agency’s records department to get information on the exact procedure to be followed for a warrant search.
It is also possible to conduct an online warrant check at shelbywarrants.org, the law enforcement agency’s official website. If you are looking for information on arrest orders issued in non-criminal matters, you will need to contact the civil division of the sheriff’s office at 1075 Mullins Station, Bldg C, Memphis, Tennessee 38134.
Two other information sources that happen to be located on the same street as the sheriff’s department are the clerk of court and the magistrate’s court. Both can be found on 201 Poplar Ave. Memphis, TN 38103. However, for the county clerk’s office, you will need to visit Suite 4-10 while the Court House works out of Suite LL-81.
These sources can be used to look through the court dockets that have records on all civil and criminal matters presented before the judiciary in Shelby County, TN.
Can you get any information pertaining to Shelby County warrants and arrests over the phone? (2021-Update)
- Contact the Central Records Division at 901-636-3650 for arrest records and other criminal records.
- Contact the Report Center at 901-222-5690 for police reports of accidents and incidents.
- Call the appropriate detention facility for information on recent arrests- Shelby County Men’s Jail at 901-222-4700, Women’s Jail (East) at 901-222-6600, and Juvenile Detention Center at 901-222-5267.
- Call the General Investigations Bureau at 901-222-5600 for questions pertaining to criminal cases.
- Call non-emergency dispatch at 901-222-5500 to report a crime.
- Call the Fugitive Division at 901-222-5620 for information on outstanding warrants.
- Contact the District Attorney’s Office at 901-222-1300 for crime victim’s help.
- Contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court at 901-222-3800 or the Clerk of the Criminal Court at 901-222-3200.
Crime Statistics of Shelby County
The annual crime average of Shelby County stood at a few over 160 incidents/year through 2018 and 2019. There was a slight dip in the number of property crimes, which went from clocking more than 150 cases in 2018 to 140 in 2019. In the violent crimes category, there was a rise of almost 70% in the incident rates, which went from 12 cases/year to 24 complaints/annum.
Over the last couple of years, there has been a gradual but distinct increase in the rate of crime in Shelby, TN. The overall crime average went up by almost 30% between 1999 and 2009. Currently, almost 70,000 crimes are reported in the area each year, which translates to roughly over 200 criminal complaints filed each day.